Friday, April 15, 2011

Gay Rights and British Sitcoms

Today was special for two reasons:
1) It was the beginning (finally) of our very belated Spring Break!

2) This:
"National Day of Silence is a day of action in which students across the country take some form of a vow of silence to call attention to the silencing effect of anti-LGBT bullying and harassment in schools. Through their activities students can speak out against harassment and organize for change for their schools and communities."

I have issues with the Day of Silence, though. First of all, it's just not very effective, especially when it's just a dozen GSA kids, being Really Quiet For The Day in a school with a population of over 3,000 students. Remaining silent sounds solemn and thought-provoking, but, in my experience, it's just really awkward. Wouldn't it be more effective if we had a 'Speaking-Out Day' or something?

I guess, I guess, I guess my main issue with the DoS is that when people ask why I'm silent, I can't really explain. The speaking cards that they hand out can only say so much, so you can't really have a discussion about gay rights with people who really need convincing.
Oh well. I've heard cases where it has changed some people's opinions, too. Anyway, I participated--- wore my red and slapped a DoS sticker on my face and didn't talk. I didn't get harassed much. Probably because, in someone who speaks so little anyway, the gesture goes unnoticed.

Does your school have the Day of Silence?
Do you participate?

I wore this... a while ago, but not today.
Dress and top are were my mother's; the belt came on a pair of jeans.


Inspiration: Hyacinth Bucket (ahem, pronounced Bouquet), from Keeping up Appearances!

You have to admit, she's pretty fucking fabulous.


Perhaps the reason I'm so bad at being an Opinionated Young Radical is that I dress like a conservative old British lady...?

3 comments:

  1. That last sentence was brilliant! ;) And I completely agree. I like the idea of "Speaking Out Day". Count me in.

    By the way, I love your aesthetic choices - the ears in the background, the outfit pics placed by buttons and feet. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I participated in day of silence. However I found that a lot of kids took it as a joke, an excuse not to participate in class. This seriously bugged me, some butt in my math class admitted that "gays should go to hell". I thought this was wrong and stupid, and i wanted to sucker punch that kid . Speak out day sounds so much more effective.
    Oh and I love your old lady look. It's amazinnggggggg

    ReplyDelete
  3. I participated as well, but like you I have a few issues with the day of silence. What would silence help if you were being persecuted? Rather than promoting silence I'd suggest that we encourage speaking out and comfortability in sharing feelings. I dunno :) thanks for the comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete